The museum, in an 18th century building, charts the history of the savings bank movement and the role played by the Rev Henry Duncan DD - Minister, Author, Antiquarian, Geologist, Publisher, Philanthropist, Artist and Businessman.
The museum is located in the very room originally built for the villagers' use and where the Reverend Duncan set up his table for business that auspicious day of 10 May 1810.
The displays contain banking memorabilia, including ledgers, 'home safes', coins and bank notes from many parts of the world.
In addition, we record the many other interests and achievements of Rev. Duncan; and hold much information on local history, including the world famous runic stone, The Ruthwell Cross.