National Trust Property.
A vast fortified and moated red-brick tower, built in medieval times for Ralph Cromwell, Lord Treasurer of England.
The building was rescued from becoming derelict by Lord Curzon 1911-14 and contains four great chambers with enormous Gothic fireplaces, tapestries and brick vaulting.
There are spectacular views from the battlements and a guardhouse with museum room.
No wheelchair access to the upper floor.