Arguably one of Eastbourne's hidden treasures, this impressive circular fortress was built between 1804-1810 to defend the coast from possible invasion from Napoleonic France. Now restored, it houses one of the south's largest military museums. Collections on display include uniforms, medals and documents from the Sussex Combined Services, The Royal Sussex Regiment and the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. Since 2004 an ongoing programme of redevelopment has been taking place at the Redoubt. With a new welcoming entrance area and signs throughout the building visitor facilities have already been improved. In addition there are a number of refurbished displays and a major new exhibition, supported by a series of events.