Holy Trinity Church and Guild Hall, Much
A largely unspoilt medieval market town, Much Wenlock has some fine buildings and considerable charm. The ruined Priory of St Mildburga is a popular attraction, a one-time nunnery restored in the 11th century by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, and his wife, Lady Godiva. The old black and white Guildhall, built on oak arches over the buttermarket, is still in use today. Nearby is the spectacular wooded escarpment of Wenlock edge, now in the care of The National Trust. It gives the impression of being just like any other sleepy English village but each year Much Wenlock maintains its long tradition of hosting its limited version of the Olympic Games. It was here, in 1850, that local doctor William Brookes created what was to become the first modern (untelevised!) Games.