Castles monuments in Shropshire
You are here:    UK  >  West Central England  >  Shropshire  >  Attractions  >  Castles
Spacer
Wales Area Cheshire Area Staffordshire Area Worcestershire Area Herefordshire Area Map of shropshire

Castles & Ancient Monuments in Shropshire

Heritage sites also including Battlefield sites, Historic Landmarks & Roman Forts in Shropshire...





Shropshire Ancient Monuments, Castles, Roman Forts, Battlefield Sites, etc

Ludlow Castle

Castle Square, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 1AY
Tel/Fax: 01584 874465
E-mail: info@ludlowcastle.com        Web: www.ludlowcastle.com


 

 

Over 900 years old, Ludlow Castle is one of the most interesting castles in the Welsh Marches featuring examples of Norman, Medieval and Tudor architecture.

Its long history includes associations with some of the greatest families in the land. Audio-guide available.

Closed on Christmas Day. Dec and January weekends only.


Grey Rule

Ironbridge: Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution

Ironbridge Photo © Keith Havercroft
Ironbridge - Photo: Keith Havercroft CCL

 

A small riverside town in rural Shropshire seems an unlikely setting for the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.

But Ironbridge, just five miles from Telford, on the River Severn, has an impressive history that belies its small size and remote location.

In the early 18th century, it was discovered that one thing East Shropshire had in abundance was coal.

With a seemingly never-ending supply of energy, industry -- such as it was at the time -- moved in.


In 1709 Abraham Darby founded the Coalbrookdale iron foundry, and it is widely acknowledged that it's here that the Industrial Revolution began.

Darby initiated major innovations in smelting which resulted in the production of better quality iron much faster than had ever before been possible.
More...


Grey Rule

Stokesay Castle & Church

Stokesay, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 9AH
Tel: 01588 673723     Email: stokesaycastle@english-heritage.org.uk

 

Located just south of Craven Arms, Stokesay Castle is not really a castle but is rather a "fortified manor house".

Lawrence of Ludlow, who became the most renowned wool merchant in England, began building this house soon after 1281 with work taking about ten years to complete.

Permission had to be obtained for the three-storied south tower to be crenelated and a  ‘licence to crenellate’ was obtained from Edward I at Hereford in 1291.


Grey Rule

Wenlock Priory

The Bull Ring, Much Wenlock, Shropshire, TF13 6HS
Tel: 01216 256820      Web: www.english-heritage.org.uk

Sufficient of the structure of Wenlock Priory has survived to give some idea of what it must have been like as a Monastery in the 13th century.  An audio tour is available to help you get the most from your visit. The site is fairly flat making is suitable for wheelchairs - mainly grass with some gravel paths. There is a small car park opposite the Priory. Toilets are adjacent to visitor centre.

Grey Rule

Buildwas Abbey

Buildwas, Telford, Shropshire, TF8 7BW
Tel: 01952 433274      Web: www.english-heritage.org.uk

Lying on the south bank of the River Severn, the Cistercian monastery of Buildwas founded in 1135. The Abbey was 'dissolved' and sold off by Henry VIII at which time the Abbot's house was converted to form part of a grand private residence. By the 19th century, this had been reduced to little more than a farmhouse, but evidence of its grand past can still be seen. The Abbey is located  3 miles north of Much Wenlock. The property is cared for by English Heritage and is open to the public.

Grey Rule

Haughmond Abbey

Tel: 01743 709661     Web: www.english-heritage.org.uk

Located 3 miles NE of Shrewsbury off B5062 (OS Map 126; ref SJ 542152) and cared for by English Heritage, the ruins of this 12th century Augustinian Abbey also house an exhibition which commemorates 600 years since the Battle of Shrewsbury. Open April 1 - Sept 30, 11.00am - 5.00pm

Grey Rule

Lilleshall Abbey

Tel: 0121 625 6820 (Regional office)
Web: www.english-heritage.org.uk

Location: On an unclassified road off A518, 4 miles N of Oakengates (OS Map 127; ref SJ 738142). Extensive ruins of abbey of Augustinian canons, including remains of the 12th and 13th-century church and the cloister buildings. An English Heritage property. Open April 1 - Sept 30 at any reasonable time.

Grey Rule