This historic town has a sloping market place and lies in the Vale of the White Horse.
It was the first capital of Wessex, where Alfred the Great ruled his kingdom for a time.
In 1216 King John gave the town a charter for a weekly market, which still exists.
Close to the centre of the town is Folly Hill and a 20th century brick tower from which there are fine views.
The folly was built by Lord Berners who lived at 18th century Faringdon House.
The town hall, surrounded by Georgian-fronted buildings, dates to the 17th century.
Within the Vale of the White Horse is the 2,500-year-old Iron Age camp of Uffington Castle and the ancient ‘White Horse’ figure carved into the chalk hillside.