This quaint village with its traditional market place figured in the TV series of the comic novel ‘Blott on the Landscape’ together with nearby Ludlow. It was built on a hill in the 6th or 7th centuries by the Saxons and following the Norman Conquest in the 11th century was owned for a time by Bishop Odo of Bayeux, half-brother of William the Conqueror.
He built a large castle here. Although its earthworks can still be seen, the fortress was destroyed in the 14th century. Charles 1 slept at Castle House after his victory at Cropredy Bridge (1644).