Tetbury is proud of its 1300 years of recorded history since 681 when Tetta's Monastery was mentioned in a charter by King Ethelred of Mercia. In the Middle Ages Tetbury was an important market town for the Cotswold wool trade.
The town centre is still dominated by the splendid, pillared 17th Century Market House or Town Hall and the Parish Church of St. Mary The Virgin. Many of the wool merchants' houses look much as they did 300 years ago.
The town has great charm and
has rightly been described as ‘an architectural
Tetbury is now famous for its many and varied antique shops and for the marvellous arboretum at Westonbirt.