Situated at the end of the
Vale of Clwyd in Denbighshire, Ruthin is a
market town of about 5000 people, and full of
Elizabethan, Georgian and Victorian
The name Ruthin means Red City and reflects the large sandstone hill on which the town was built, originally as a strategic lookout over the River Clwyd.
The remains of its castle are some of the oldest in Wales. Building started in 1277 by order of Edward 1, predating the more famous castles of Conwy and Caernarfon by many years.
Situated on the top of the hill, the town centre around St. Peter's Square is easily located and gives views to the beautiful surrounding countryside.