Newport Castle - Photo: Ralph Rawlinson CCL
|This is a
bustling industrial town and seaport that grew
around its docks at mouth of the River Usk.
Its name in Welsh actually means ‘new castle’,
a reference to its ruined castle that dates
back to the 12th century.
St Woolos Church, which overlooks the town, has Saxon origins and was granted cathedral status in the last century. It has a superb Norman arched doorway and a medieval tower.
The town’s museum looks
back to the rise of Chartism and the local
riots of 1839 when 22 protesters were gunned
down. It also contains an Epstein bust of the
poet W.H. Davies who spent much of his life
travelling across America as a hobo.
Tredegar House was the home of the wealthy Morgan family for 500 years. Its grounds have now been turned into a local park. Rising above the town is a bridge, built in 1906, which spans the Usk.
Nearby Caerleon was a major Roman citadel, holding up to 6,000 soldiers and here you will find the remains of a barracks and a Roman amphitheatre on a site covering 50 acres.
Caerleon Roman Amphitheatre
Photo: Penny Mayes CCL