Once the capital of
Saxon-controlled Wessex, the town of Wilton
lies on the banks of the rivers Wylye and
It is one of England’s oldest boroughs.
Wilton House stands on the site of a ninth century abbey founded by Alfred the Great.
Home of the earls of Pembroke, it was revamped in the 17th century by Inigo Jones and was used in the Second World War to help plan the D-Day invasion.
The poet Edmund Spenser
and dramatists Ben Johnson and Christopher
Marlowe all visited the house and it was here
that Sir Philip Sidney wrote part of his
Arcadia in the 16th century.
It features a remarkable Double Cube Room and houses a number of paintings by both Rembrandt and Van Dyck.
The name Wilton is
synonymous with the manufacture of a specific
kind of carpet, which has been made here since
the mid 17th century.
The modern Wilton factory offers guided tours and has an exhibition devoted to local carpet making.
The unusual church of St Mary and St Nicholas was built in 1842 by T. H. Wyatt in an Italian style as the result of a dream.