The perfect base for
further exploration into Dorset, this
delightful market town lies on the banks of
the River Allen, not far from Bournemouth, and
is dominated by the twin-towered Minister of
St Cuthberga - a curious cathedral-like
mixture of Norman and Gothic architecture -
which contains a 17th century chained library
and the only royal brass in England.
Nearby are the defensive Iron Age earthworks known as Badbury Rings.
Dorset writer Thomas Hardy lived here for two years and changed its name to ‘Warborne’ for his 1882 book ‘Two on a Tower’.