Originally known as Slop Pond, this is the
most easterly parish in Dorset and offers all
the amenities of a traditional seaside resort
as well as superb views across to the Isle of
Wight. It has a curious, Gothic-style castle
built in the 1830's and a restored hall with a
pleasing garden open to the public.
The area first became a tourist hotspot in the 19th Century when the name of the village was changed to Newtown, then re-named as Highcliff and more recently to Highcliffe-on-Sea.