This evocative medieval
market town in West Sussex is dominated by the
walls of 17th century Petworth House, built by
the 6th Duke of Somerset in 1696.
Its grounds were laid out by ‘Capability’ Brown in the mid-18th century.
The area proved to be an inspiration for the artist J. M. W. Turner who produced some of his finest work here.
His pictures hang inside, alongside works by Pussin and Van Dyck.
The Carved Room contains carvings by the great Grinling Gibbons (1648-1721).
The building and grounds were handed over to the National Trust in 1947 by the 3rd Lord Leconfield.