A village in West Sussex
on the banks of the River Adur, Bramber has a
macabre history associated with Bramber
Only a fragment of the hilltop Norman edifice now remains - it was badly damaged during the English Civil War - but its chapel has survived as the parish church.
The story goes that the castle’s owner, William de Braose, incurred the wrath of King John who subsequently starved to death his four young children.
Another one of the castle’s residents, Nicholas Barbon, introduced fire insurance to Britain after the Great Fire of London in 1666. St Mary’s House is a superb example of a 15th century timber-framed building.