This quaint old East
Sussex village lies on the banks of the River
Cuckmere and has a 14th century church known
as the ‘cathedral of the Downs’.
Nearby Lullington has one of the smallest churches in Britain, measuring a mere 16 square feet.
Timber-framed Alfriston Clergy House, dating to the 14th century, was the first property to be bought by the National Trust. It cost £10 in 1896 and features a rare chalk and sour milk floor.