All around the place where Leuchars Parish Church (1187) now stands was originally marshland. About half a mile to the north is an artificial mound on which various castles were built in the 1100s, 1300s and 1500s. None has outlasted the church of which the original choir and apse still stand.
In the early 19th century, there was considerable drainage works to reclaim agricultural land which also created space for the village to expand. The coming of the railway and later the RAF station helped bring further prosperity.