Second-largest town in Fife, Dunfermline was the Scottish capital for over 500 years.
It can trace its history back to at least 1065 when Malcolm Canmore moved his court here and built a fortress. His second wife, Queen Margaret, founded a Benedictine Priory, later elevated to the status of an Abbey. Her canonisation in 1250 led to her tomb in the abbey becoming a shrine.
The abbey also has the tombs of Malcolm Canmore and Robert the Bruce. The town received its Royal Charter from King James VI in 1588.
Dunfermline's industrial development in the 18th and 19th centuries was mainly based on textiles with linen, cotton, woollen and damask fabrics being produced.
Today Dunfermline has a busy centre, a choice of three 18-hole golf courses and a small museum & gallery with displays on the town's industries.
It also has the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum. Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and benefactor was born in at 2 Moodie Street, Dunfermline in 1835. This 18th-century weaver's cottage is now the basis of the museum.
In total, Carnegie is thought to have given over £70 million to charity, of which about £1 million was to benefit Dunfermline where the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust is based.
Gifts to the town included the Carnegie Centre, the Carnegie Free Library, the Carnegie Hall and Pittencrieff Park.