|A one-time county town, Haddington was a royal burgh by the 12th century and its 14th century parish church, St Mary’s, is known as the ‘Lamp of the Lothians’. At one time it had a lantern on its tower.|
In 1584 the Treaty of
Haddington resulted in the eventual marriage of
Mary Queen of Scots to the French dauphin,
bringing to an end the so-called ‘rough wooing’ of
the English who wanted the young queen to wed
10-years-old Edward V1.
The town was the birthplace of both King of the Scots Alexander 11 (1198-1249) and John Knox (1514-72), the central figure in the Scottish Reformation movement. Nearby Kinlock House is an 18th century mansion.