A fishing port and seaside
resort, Dunbar has been a royal burgh since the
Above the harbour sits the ruin of a 9th century castle where ‘Black Agnes’, Countess of March, held the English at bay for five months in 1338.
Mary Queen of Scots was
brought here by James Bothwell after he kidnapped
her in 1567 prior to their marriage.
The building was eventually ruined when Mary was defeated by rebellious nobles later that same year.
The name of the town’s most famous son, the pioneering conservationists John Muir (1838-1914), is remembered at the John Muir country park.
There are several beaches nearby while the limestone cliffs of Barns Ness hold many interesting fossils.
The 13th century Battle of Dunbar was fought a few miles from the town centre and a second battle, in 1650, resulted in the Scots being mercilessly slaughtered by a roundhead army.