This pretty village lies at
the mouth of the Findhorn river and has a golden
beach. Over the centuries its sands have swallowed
up valuable farming land, forcing the village to
move at least three times. During the 18th century
it was a busy port but in 1829 it was overwhelmed
by floodwater, with the river rising by an
astonishing 49 feet.
More recently a so-called ‘New Age’ community has established itself here, led by the founders, Peter and Eileen Caddy, in the 1960s. Projects include a biological sewage works. Members of the unorthodox society claim to have grown giant food plants on virtually barren sand dunes.