Built around a medieval street
plan, this royal and ancient borough is today a
key centre for tourists heading for the area known
Only a small part of the town’s castle survives but Elgin’s twice-ruined 13th century cathedral is considered one of Scotland’s finest ecclesiastical buildings. First burned down by Wolf of Badenoch, illegitimate son of Robert 11 in 1390, it is known as the ‘lantern of the north’.
Spynie Palace – a beautiful ruin – was the official home of the Bishops of Moray in the Middle Ages while 13th century Pluscarden Priory (also wrecked by the rebellious Wolf of Badenoch) has been transformed into a Benedictine abbey.
Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed in Elgin at Thunderton House in 1646 before the tumultuous Battle of Culloden. The property is now a hotel.
The local museum is one of the finest in the north of Britain and features some of the oldest dinosaurs ever found in Britain.