Traditionally founded in the 5th century by St Machaoi, the Nendrum Monastic Site is a fine example of an island monastery. First documented as a parish church in 1306, but abandoned for a mainland site at Tullynakill during the 15th century.
There are references from the 7th Century until 976 AD when the Abbot was burned in his house, perhaps in a Viking raid and in the late 12th century a small Benedictine cell was founded here. There is a summer cottage, built on the site in the early 20th century, which is now being used as a visitor centre. The Centre houses interactive and graphic displays, models, artefacts and video.
There are other facilities at the site including Guided Tours, a Picnic Area, Toilets and a small private car park.