County Antrim Stately Homes, Country Houses & Gardens
Andrew Jackson Centre
Boneybefore, Carrickfergus, BT38 7AB
Andrew Jackson Centre, Boneybefore - Located less than a mile from the town centre off the Larne Road. The single storey building is a traditional Ulster-Scots farmhouse built in 1750. It has been restored to its original state including an open fireplace with a daub and wattle canopy and hanging crane. The interior has been decorated as a traditional cottage with a dresser, sponge wear crockery and iron pots and griddles. The Centre has a collection of Ulster patchwork quilts and farm machinery. The 7th president of the USA's ancestry and life are displayed in the gallery. Disabled access. Toilet facilities.
Arthur Ancestral Home
Ballymena Borough Council, Ardeevin, 80 Galgorm
Road, Ballymena, County Antrim
Restored 18th-century farmhouse with open flax-straw thatched roof. Ancestral home of Chester Alan Arthur, 21st US President 1881-85. Arthur's father emigrated from Dreen 1816-17. Interpretive centre, baking demonstrations. Wheelchair access. Small admission charges.
Joey Dunlop Memorial Garden
Ballymoney, County Antrim Tel: 028 2563 8494
Joey Dunlop, born in Ballymoney in 1952, was affectionately known to motorcycle racing fans and competitors alike as 'King of the Roads' and 'Yer Maun'. Through his courage and ambition, he became one of the most successful riders of all time. He was tragically killed while racing in Estonia in July 2000. His incredible sporting career included five Formula One World Championships. 13 wins at the North West 200 races. 24 wins at the Ulster Grand Prix and a world record of 26 wins at the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy. In May 2001, Ballymoney Borough Council officially opened the Joey Dunlop Memorial Garden. In this beautiful setting, visitors have time to reflect on the unprecedented achievements of this much loved international motorcycling legend.
The White House
C/O Abbey Historical Society, 32-34 Whitehouse Park, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, BT37 9SQ
The White House is the oldest building in the Borough of Newtownabbey and is situated on Belfast Lough on the edge of the city. It was built in the sixteenth century and much of the building has survived. Abbey Historical Society has undertaken the challenge of restoring it to make it a centre for local history studies.