An historic borough, Kirkby’s
origins date to the 11th century then know as
Cherchebi, with a population of around 70 people!
Cherchebi was even deemed worthy of a mention in the Domesday Book.
Designed by Paley and Austin, the present day parish church of St. Chad was consecrated in 1871 by the Lord Bishop of Chester.
Its many Gothic and Norman features lead to the assumption that St. Chad's is of earlier origins.
Industrialisation led to housing developments, which would relieve the problems overcrowding in Liverpool and by 1961, the population of Kirkby exceeded 50,000 a far cry from the estimated figure of the earlier settlement.