This is one of the oldest
villages in Cumbria and lies on the River Eea
within striking distance of lakes Windermere,
Coniston and Hawkshead. Its famous priory is 800
years old and is regarded by experts as one the
finest ecclesiastical buildings in the north of
England. The village reeks of a bygone age, with
cobbled pavements, ancient streets and old
buildings. The Gatehouse dates to 1340.
The village is a popular destination for lovers of horse racing – Cartmel Races are staged here on Spring Bank and August Bank holidays.