Once the main settlement in Wensleydale, this
sleepy village of greying stone, lying a short
distance from Hawes, was the first place in the
area to be granted a charter in 1202.
It appears to have flourished until it was hit by the plague 350 years later.
|The delightful Church of Holy Trinity dates back, in part, to the 13th century and contains a memorial to the wealthy Scrope family who built nearby Bolton Hall in 1678.|