Otterburn is a village on the Scottish Borders standing on the River Rede which powered Otterburn Mill. Famed world wide for the production of fine Northumbrian tweeds, the mill has now been restored as a shop and visitor centre. Other historical buildings include Otterburn Hall, built in 1869 and the much-extended Pele tower, first mentioned in 1245. Otterburn was an important staging post on the road to Scotland and indeed, still has a wide range of hotels and guesthouses.
The village was also the site of the battle of Otterburn, which took place in 1388 between the English and the Scots. Although the Scots lost their leader in the battle, they routed the English and returned home victorious. The site of the battle just outside the village is now marked by stone column known as Percy's Cross.