Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46
Tel: 01434 602031 Fax:
There has been a church on this site over for
1300 years since Queen Etheldreda made a grant
of lands to Wilfrid, Bishop of York c.674. Of
Wilfrid's Benedictine abbey, the Saxon crypt and
apse still remain. In Norman times. Wilfrid's abbey was replaced by an Augustinian priory: the
church you see today is mainly that building of
about 1170-1250, in the Early English style of
architecture. The choir, north and south
transepts and the cloisters, where canons
studied and meditated, date from this period.
The east end was rebuilt in 1860 and the nave,
whose walls incorporate some of the earlier
church, was built in 1908. In 1996 an additional
chapel was created at the east end of the north
choir aisle. Named St Wilfrid's Chapel, it
offers a place for prayer or quiet reflection.
Since the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537
the Abbey has been the parish church of Hexham
and today is still a centre for worship and
witness to the Christian faith.