This lovely village with a
Gothic church, built around 1500, and the
ruins of a 12th century priory church used to
be the capital of the Cleveland district and
was then part of Yorkshire’s North Riding. It
also has an unusual memorial to the local de
Bruce family which had links with the Scottish
warrior Robert the Bruce. Carved in 1521 and
known as the Brus Cenotaph, it was given to
the priory church by Margaret Tudor, daughter
of Henry VII.
Robert the Bruce’s grandfather is buried at nearby Guisborough Priory, a magnificent ruin which looks out onto the grounds of Guisborough Hall, built by Sir Thomas Challoner. It was Challoner’s son who first began mining alum on the moors in the early 17th century. Tocketts flourmill, with a working waterwheel, is about a mile from here.