Officially a town in
Derbyshire, Long Eaton is nevertheless a suburb of
Nottingham and lies on the banks of the River
Trent. It dates back at least to the 7th century
and its name stems from an Anglo Saxon word
meaning ‘town by the water’.
It rose to prominence in the 19th century with the Industrial Revolution, becoming a centre for industries such as lace making and quarrying. The arrival of both the railways and the Erewash Canal enabled it to further expand.
|By the 1900s its booming lace trade was using an estimated 1,500 machines. Today the town is well known for the manufacture of furniture. Its splendid parish Church of St Lawrence was rebuilt in 1868 while the church of St John the Evangelist was designed in the 1920s. The Palladian mansion Long Eaton Hall was erected by Joseph Pickford, of Derby, and later became the town hall. Just outside the centre is Trent Lock where the Erewash Canal joins the River Trent – a popular spot for sailing and boating.|