Lying on the banks of the great River Trent, this ancient town is today
dominated by industry, notably in the form of
factories serving Boots the Chemist. It was Jesse
Boot who founded this medicinal empire in his 20s
after taking control of a herbal business founded
by his father in Nottingham. He rapidly expanded
the business and in 1883 created Boot and Company
Ltd., with himself as chairman and managing
director. The rest, as they say, is history.
Reminders of the town’s origins can be seen at the Church of St Mary, which dates back to the 14th century. Its many interesting features include a tower with a rebuilt spire, hammerbeam roofs, painted rood screen and a 16th century pulpit.