This hugely attractive Leicestershire town, blessed with an
unusually wide main square, has been a key market
centre since the early part of the 13th century.
Despite industrial growth, there are still many
fine Georgian buildings here. The most famous is
the town’s old timbered grammar school. Built by
Robert Smythe in 1614 it is raised above wooden
pillars so that pedestrians can walk beneath it.
The Church of St Dionysius dates back to the 13th century and has a broach spire so typical of spires in Northamptonshire. The town pioneered the making of liberty bodice undergarments in the early part of the 20th century.