North Walsham Centre with Town Sign -
A centre for hand-weaving during the Middle
Ages, North Walsham’s prosperity was later
increased by the creation of the Dilham Canal
which connected the town with the Broads.
The real novelty, however, is a sloping market
place in which stands a three-tiered, 16th
century market cross with a series of wooden
pillars holding up a roof and with a dome and
lantern. This pattern is repeated on top. The
unusual building had to be restored after a
fire destroyed part of the town in 1602.