Tourist Information in Norfolk
You are here:    UK  >  East England >  Norfolk
Spacer
Surrounding Area Lincolnshire Surrounding Area Cambridgeshire Surrounding Area Suffolk Map of norfolk

Kings Lynn Town Information




Use the links on the left to find information and images for the towns and villages throughout Norfolk...








This fascinating town originally developed as a seaport and was known as Bishop’s Lynn until Henry V111 changed its name during the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century. Its buildings largely reflect its seafaring wealth amassed in particular during the 14th and 17th centuries.

It has two guildhalls, one of which is the flint town hall built around 1420. The oldest surviving guildhall in England, it has a Great Hall that measures 100ft in length.
Within this remarkable building are some of the finest treasures in Britain, including the 700-year-old silver and enamel King John Cup, one of oldest paper books in existence and the King John Sword.

Lynn Museum has information on the geology, archaeology and natural history of the area as well as Bronze Age weapons, while the Town Museum of Lynn Life offers displays of costumes and toys along with a reconstructed Victorian kitchen.

The 12th century Church of St Margaret was once part of a Benedictine monastery.

Special places of interest include the Old Gaol House, which illustrates the deprivations of prison life in the 18th century, and the medieval merchant’s house Hampton Court. Clifton House is another ancient merchant’s house with a garden.

The Red Mount at King's Lynn, also known as the Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount was a place of pilgrimage. It was built in the reign of Richard III (1483-85) by Robert Curraunt. It is in "The Walks" park in King's Lynn.

The Red Mount - Photo © Rob Farrow
The Red Mount -
Photo: Rob Farrow CCL

Caithness Crystal Factory offers demonstrations of glass making and has a resident engraver.

Nearby is the Palladian Houghton Hall built in the early 18th century for Robert Walpole, England’s first prime Minister.

Now owned by the 6th Marquis Hugh, Lord Great Chamberlain to the Queen, it contains a remarkable collection of 20,000 model soldiers.