This is the largest holiday resort in western
Norfolk - and the only East Anglian town to
It was established as a resort in the mid
19th century and still offers pleasant sandy beaches and shallow water protected by interesting cliffs.
The old quarter dates from 855AD when St. Edmund was shipwrecked here.
The bridge over the River Hun is reputedly Roman.
The town’s golf course is of championship standard.
A few miles from here stands the magnificent royal house of Sandringham, bought by Queen Victoria in 1826 as a residence for the future Edward VII.
It has superlative parkland and is one of Norfolk’s hottest tourist spots.
Worth visiting are Great Bircham Mill – boasting five floors and a bakery with a 200-year-old oven – and Heacham’s sweet-scented Lavender Distillery.