Holbeach, a fenland market town was awarded its Market Charter in 1252.
At one time, the sea came within a couple of miles of the town and instances of severe flooding were recorded in the 13th and 16th centuries. Land drainage schemes were started in the 18th century and gradually the coastline of The Wash moved to nine miles away. The reclaimed area is now fertile agricultural land.
All Saints' Church was built in the 14th century incorporating parts the town's ruined Norman castle.