Although there is some
evidence of Roman occupation, the small town of
Barton upon Humber is considered to be of
Anglo-Saxon origin. It lies on the south bank of
the river at the southern end of the Humber Bridge
and a viewing area has been provided from which to
see this magnificent structure. |
At one time, Barton was a thriving industrial town
producing bricks & tiles, rope and chalk which was
easily transported away by river and sea.
Today the once industrial areas near the riverside have become a haven for wildlife. Visit Water's Edge Country Park and Far Ings Nature Reserve.
The Old Mill pub in Market Lane is a converted windmill, Kings Garth Mill, which was in use as a mill up to 1950.
Excavations have shown that it was built on the site of an Anglo-Saxon Cemetery.