Alford (pronounced "Olford" in
Lincolnshire) was established as a small hamlet in
pre-Norman times at a place where it was easy to
ford the local stream.
It was granted a market charter in 1283 and prospered with the arrival of the railway and the Alford to Sutton-on-Sea steam tram in 1884.
It is today perhaps most famous for its five-sailed windmill, Hoyle's Mill, one of only three remaining in Lincolnshire which are still working.
At one time the town boasted
three windmills but this is the last and dates
Today it operates as a tourist attraction but stone-ground wholemeal flour is available for purchase.
The town's oldest building is St. Wilfrid's Church, dating from the 13th century.
The Queen Elizabeth Grammar School originally started in a room above the church porch.