Clay Cross is in close
proximity to Chesterfield. The discovery of a vast
underground deposit of coal and iron by George
Stephenson, developed the town from a rural,
mainly farming based community, into a busy
The Ironworks are still running today, The Clay Cross Company was formed in 1837 and still exists as part of the Biwater group.
Clay Cross has many modern amenities with the usual shops and pubs and there is also an open-air market that takes place on Saturdays. Also worth a visit is St Bartholomew’s church, built in the 19th century, with its 70ft spire!